Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I'm still here

I know it's been a long time since my last post. I've had some problems with my internet service. Well to catch up on things; my chickens are now laying and they layed five eggs today. That is pretty good for six hens. I had been getting three until today. I have a rooster with an attitude problem and I feel a good pot of chicken noodle soup coming up. The crazy thing flogs everyone that goes into the chicken house, including trying to jump on my three year old son. I want my boys to be involved in the egg gathering but with that rooster in there it is impossible. I think we're going to eat him. I have a spare.

My dad killed a couple young deer the first couple of weeks of bow season. The were so tender and so good. I fryed up the tenderloin and ate it for breakfast with eggs and biscuits. We loved it, except for the boys. They just kept saying, Yuckie Deer meat!!! My neighbor and his friend killed a big black bear with a bow the first day and they shot and missed another. We have had a lot of trouble with them tearing up deer feeders and even bird feeders in this area. I saw a big boar last Saturday on my way to work. I drove within twenty feet of him before he ran. His back was as tall as the hood on my Jeep Cherokee.

Our guineas are growing and I'm taking them to the chicken pen this week to spend the winter with the chickens. I'll turn them out next spring to eat bugs and ticks and all the creepy crawly things. I wish we would have bought a pig this year. I miss fresh pork sausage and chops. I found a place to buy it fairly fresh, but nothing beats the farm raised, fresh ground, perfectly seasoned, lightly browned sausage patty on a hot homemade biscuit. Oh I'm so sorry my mouth is watering and I really need to wipe it. Okay I really love fresh farm sausage.

I'll be posting more after Friday after I get my new internet service. The one I have now is not really reliable. I hope everyone has a great day!

2 comments:

  1. We've got deer, but I'm glad I can say we don't have bears! Although there has been a mountain lion spotted on occasion around here. That's pretty cool.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a wildlife refuge a few miles away that is used mostly by the college. We've always heard that they released bears here, but we've never seen one. I'm with you on the deer and the fresh sausage-I love them both!

    ReplyDelete