Thursday, June 11, 2009

Picking cherries

I have been really busy trying to pick all the weeds out my garden. I've been doing it between the rain showers and that is not much of a window of opportunity. We all went out and picked some cherries yesterday. The tree is loaded but most of them are up high in the tree. It's one of those fifty footers and not to big around. The birds are getting the high ones and I'm hoping to get all the bottom ones. We froze the cherries we picked yesterday and I want to can some and make some more jam. We made some last year and it was great.

My grapes that I cleaned out earlier this spring have quite a few clusters growing on them. They are getting nice and big. I still haven't built an arbor but I have bought the material. It's now just trying to find the time to do it. My wife wants some grape jelly. I would like to make some jam and some juice.

We're thinking about getting another pig this year. We need something to feed all the garden scraps to. We want some more fresh sausage and ground pork. We use a lot of ground pork. I make chili with it and we make burgers, meatloaf, etc. I also like the ribs, chops and I want to can up a bunch of it this time. There's nothing like canned pork and fresh biscuits and eggs for breakfast. Well I better go and grab something to eat. lol

2 comments:

  1. Pulling weeds is a job! Our weather has gotten so hot in the last few days that it makes it hard to get out there.
    Cherry jam is good! Hope you beat the birds to them.

    We used to raise a lot of pigs when our boys were growing up. I miss having fresh pork in the freezer. We have talked of getting a few pigs. Maybe this fall.

    Have a great weekend.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pigs sure do work out well with gardening and other livestock. I hope you get some and post about them. :)

    There sure has been a TON of rain this year so far.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete