Monday, July 6, 2009

An abundance of squash and an acrobatic chipmunk

I am covered up in squash. I'm picking about 25 to 35 a day. I'm giving it away and eating it and now I'm going to sell it. I'm just glad that it's getting ate and not going to waste. I haven't found a way to preserve it that I like yet. I've blanched and froze it and didn't really like it. If anyone has any tasty ways of preserving it I'd really appreciate the information.
Now here we are with the little guy that has been robbing our bird feeder. I still don't know how he climbed up a steel pole three feet straight up to get into the bird feeder. I was wondering how those birds were eating it so fast. I came back from feeding the chickens the other day and I saw where it was going. I guess he'll have an easy winter this year with free food hanging for him all the time. The wife and kids love watching him around the yard. He is enjoyable to watch.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't found any way to preserve it that I like. I blanch and freeze and use in soup. We grow a lot, though as I like to make bread and butter pickles with them. I add onions and cucumbers and use the Mrs. Wages pickling mix. Sometimes, I just pickle the squash and onions since they're my favorites anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried the bread and butter pickles yet but I have always wanted to. I have a recipe with the squash, onions and cucumbers. I'm going to try it. I like anything pickled:)
    By the way I'm making dill pickles and I'm using the Mrs. Wages pickling mix. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an awesome amount of summer squash to be getting per day!

    We just shred and freeze ours, no blanching. To eat, we thaw, fry in a little bit of oil with some seasoning salt. Kinda like hashbrowns, with a unique flavor.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete