Friday, September 18, 2009

Still talkin' bout canning

I'm still canning up some banana peppers. They just keep on producing and producing. I've picked about 2 and 1/2 bushel so far this year off of forty some plants and I still have a bunch to pick. I'm making more kraut. I should have enough kraut to do me for a week or 50! I'm going to can me a few green tomatoes also. I don't like the texture as well as fresh but green tomatoes in January are kinda rare. I may be sick of them now but middle of winter I'll settle for a softer version of green tomatoes fried up with some hot peppers. My wife cut up another 2 quarts of bell peppers for freezing. We have 2 gallon bags full of smaller bags cut up and froze and the 2 quarts she just cut up. That should do until next summer. We take smaller bags and put enough in them for what we need and then we put them in a gallon bag so we can keep them all together and we still can get out a small portion for breakfast burritos or meatloaf or whatever we are making. We've also put up some apples. I don't know how long they'll last because Blake wants them everyday with hot biscuits and butter. Now we need to get a hog so we can have fresh sausage to go with all that. Well, I'm getting hungry so I better go.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa! That's a LOT of peppers. And I thought I had a lot. I'm thinking that I may try for one more batch of salsa if I can find the time.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete