Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hauling in more firewood

We've been hauling in more firewood again here lately. We hauled some in back in May and then we became to busy with everything else to finish it. So we've been going out and getting a load busted up and hauled in every day or two. We now have 8 loads on my Dodge Dakota and about 5 loads on my dad's F 150. We still have wood in the pile that I cut last summer and fall. There were a lot of storms here last summer and it blew down an abundance of trees and I cut them up and hauled them in to an old log landing in the middle of my meadow. We busted about 4 F150 loads out last year and the 8 Dakota loads this year and there are still about 4 loads out there. I also have about 6 loads of wood that I pulled out of the log landing to be cut up and busted.

I have dead trees and fallen trees all over the farm that I need to cut up and get out of the way. I probably won't have to cut any next year. I can't wait to I get the log landing cleaned up and get my uncle out here with his tractor and bucket and clean it up completely. There will be some blood, sweat, tears and a lot of brush burning in doing it, but I can't wait until we get it cleaned up. I have a low place or two to put all the extra dirt. Well like Forrest Gump said "That's all I got to say about that." I hope everyone has a great day.

4 comments:

  1. That's a lot of wood! My parents heat primarily with wood and I think my Dad has enough wood stockpiled in various outbuildings to last them for several winters.
    We have several dead trees that need brought down and cut up but we don't have a wood stove- yet. That's another thing on my wish list. I'm a bit concerned living out here in the country and not having a back up heat source for the winter. We're hoping to eventually add a solarium onto the south side of our house and put a wood stove out there. We'll see how many years it takes to get that one done...
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the things on our big to-do before winter lists. I think I'm going to have to stop reading your posts, you just keep reminding me of all the things I haven't gotten done yet.
    Seriously, I am enjoying catching up with all you all have been up to. I love the pics of the kids with the veggies. You all have been busy with food preservation! It looks like your garden did great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I love cutting wood and I have a lot more to cut. I know you guys will love how warm and cozy woodstoves are.

    Jennifer, I went and made a "To Do List" and I now I'm stressed out. I never really realized how many things I wanted to do before winter. Maybe I should say things I needed to do. Our garden really did well this year. I just wish our green beans would have done better. It wasn't there fault but a rabbit dug under our garden fence and kept eating them off. I had enough to cook some up with bacon for supper and about two gallon for pickling. I love pickled beans. The boys like the garden, especially picking the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I forgot to say that having a woodstove if the power goes out is great. It gives us something to set around when you can't do anything else and we can cook on it in if we have to. It's a great back up.

    ReplyDelete