Sunday, May 10, 2009

Finally getting something done

I know it was Mothers Day and all, but I had to get things done. I cleaned out some concord grapes that my grandfather had shown me 15 years ago when I was a teenager. They were growing here when my grandfather originally bought the farm back in 1967 and they kept cutting them down every year. He didn't need them because he had a very large grape arbor in his yard and it was in the field next of where my father later moved to in 1980. It was neglected and cut down for years and I even cut it down ever since I got married and moved back here in December of 2003. So this year I checked it and it was still there, bigger than ever and vines running everywhere; through multi flora rose, wild cherry sprouts, brush and a lot of weeds and grass. It is actually in the edge of my current lawn. I cut everything out and pitch forked it in a pile. It looks really neat and clean. I'm going to build a nice arbor out of treated lumber and hopefully I'll have some good homegrown grapes this year or next. I see a lot of grape juice, jam and jelly in our future.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for leaving a comment. Sounds like our grape vines.
    In response to your question on my blog, my husband is using the book called "Anyone Can Build A Tub-Style Mechanical Plucker" by Herrick Kimball. It was gifted to us by Angie (fellow blogger) at Children in the Corn, you can find her on my side bar. She posted on this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here is Eric's link (Angie's husband) from when he built his
    http://childreninthecorn.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-i-built-my-mechanical-chicken.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Country Girl, thanks for the link to the chicken plucker info. I would really like to build one and not do all the hand plucking.

    ReplyDelete