Friday, May 8, 2009

At least I got my grass mowed

Well, guess what happened today? It rained again, but I did finish mowing my lawn before it started. The chicks got a little too hot today so I had to raise the heat lamp so it would cool down. It is so hard to believe they are the same chicks that we bought a week ago. They have grown so much. I will have some pictures up soon. We bought 13 Rhode Island Red chicks for laying and 5 Cornish X Rocks for eating. In a few weeks I'll be eating fresh chicken for the first time in a long time. I'll be hand plucking and I've never done it. I think after the first few I'll get the hang of it. I'll be ordering some more of the Cornish X Rocks in a month so I need to practice up on butchering these five. I would like to have about six to eight months worth of fresh chicken in my freezer, but wouldn't we all. So long until next time.

2 comments:

  1. We would love to have that much chicken in the freezer, too. We have Buff Orpingtons that are a year old now. We'd planned on getting more this year to have for the freezer, but it just hasn't happened. I wanted to tell you, we have a neighbor/friend that stocks his freezer every year and he doesn't pluck. He skins them just like you would a rabbit. He says it's much easier, especially when doing a lot of them. A couple months ago he came over and showed us how on an extra rooster that we had. It was really quick and easy. Just thought I would let you know that if you don't really care about the skin, it's a lot easier than the scalding and plucking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I do agree that skinning is a lot easier than plucking and my wife and I agree that is more than likely what we will be doing. My wife would prefer no skin, but I like my baked chicken and dumplings. I like Buff Orpingtons and they were actually my first choice for chickens, because they are good layers and very broody. They also dress out as nice meat birds. I really appreciate any information and advice. Thanks

    ReplyDelete